Monday, January 21, 2013

Bangladeshi Baby


Well I’m here. Bangladesh. A dizzy, sleep deprived Erica stepped off the plane at 8am Friday morning. Lucky for me, it was one of the two days Shompa has off of work in the week so she was able to meet me at the airport. Sweet Shompa paid the fee to greet me inside the airport even when I told her it was not necessary. When I saw the crazy packed out crowd gathered at the entrance to the airport gate I nearly teared up with thankfulness that my friend was a stubborn Bangladeshi and hadn’t listened to me. (This Bangladeshi girl is more than a friend she is more like a sister and I admire SO many things in her). At that point I knew it would have been impossible to find my friend while dragging my broken suitcase along behind. The wheel stopped rolling somewhere in Switzerland and then the handle broke before I caught the metro in London...so much for my black friday special luggage. The cheapest option when arriving in Dhaka is to walk as far away from the airport as possible before getting a rickshaw or CNG (small green taxi), but since neither of us could hardly carry my sad suitcase, and the crowd was denser than Disney we decided to hail a taxi on the spot. So we drive only about a 15 minute drive from the airport but into a whole new world. A world I slightly remember walking to maybe once or twice in my last stay in Bangladesh, but living in it is something unknown to this spoiled American. We drive past the big concrete roads, the nice foreigner houses that I used to live in and onto a rocky, dusty path filled with rickshaws, a few cars, and A LOT of people. My mind raced back to when my dad came to visit Bangladesh, and he described one of his outings to a rickshaw driver named Shonju’s house. He said it seemed like every corner they turned from one street onto the next was like a different level of poverty. Well Dad...we turned a lot of corners. Shompa lives behind a rickshaw resting place where they take a break from the heat of the day. We pull up to the place where finally the car can not manage to drive on and its time to get out. She owns a room and shares a stove and bathroom with 3 other families. To my pampered American eyes this place looks like the worst of any ghetto, a grimy slum. Not even the poorest people in America live in these conditions. But to my sweet Bangladeshi sister, this place is home, something she has slowly saved up to buy over time, she is proud of her room, her dishes, her pots and pans, and her bed that she fixed with nails and a borrowed hammer.   She is smiling from ear to ear as she shows me her things and where she has made space for me to put mine.  The joy that emulates from this girl brings tears to my eyes. I love Shompa dearly and I am so happy to have her as my Bangladeshi sister and now roommate, but I seriously have no idea how to live in these conditions!  No fridge, no faucet, no toilet or toilet paper, definitely no microwave, no shower, no hot water, and ofcourse no washing machine. I’m like an infant in this world I can not do anything including speak. I am the entertainment/laughing stock of her neighbors but I don’t blame them. Things that they have done their whole life and see as common sense, I have to be taught and shown by example a few times before I get the hang of it. This morning 2 people helped me to boil water for my coffee, and they laughed historically the entire time.  Soon I hear them telling the neighbors the last few Bangla words I attempted and the laughing starts again. Their laugher is catching, I can’t help but laugh too even though I know this means I’m laughing at my own stupidity. This afternoon another lady stood watching as I attempted to wash my camise (shirt), I know I look ridiculous but I seriously was doing my best! Soon there is a crowd of 5 people laughing. The first lady finally couldn’t take my clumsiness any more and took over as the crowd erupts laughing. Well, at least someone is having fun. Who knew washing clothes could provide such entertainment?! Wow, the list of things I do not know is unbelievably long. 

10 comments:

  1. Erica! thanks for posting these details about your first few days in Bangladesh. Your description of Shompa's home and her deep pride in it brought tears to my eyes. My, also very pampered, American mind cannot begin to imagine what your life there looks like, or what it is REALLY like to not be able to communicate with anyone. I am praying for you; for safety, for language and skills, for relationships, and for your light to shine ever so brightly in the darkness. I love you, big sis!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRIT! thank you so much for your prayers I love what you are praying please keep them coming. I think about you sometimes when I'm learning Bangla and I think you could learn so much quicker. I could totally imagine you in a setting like this Brit, and I can't say that for many people, but you would rock here! Love you sis and we can totally skype sometime now since one of my neighbors is sharing his internet.
      LOVE YOU!
      erica

      Delete
  2. Erica, your adventures brought tears to my eyes...bless you and your Bangladeshi friends/family. We are in prayer for you and know you will bless and be blessed! You are right, we Americans have NO idea how easy we have it and need to be reminded to take nothing for granted...we are blessed beyond the imagination of others. Perhaps Jeremiah 29:11 will encourage you and your friends/family as it has Uncle Scott and I. Take care and keep posting. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aunt Barb and Uncle Scott! Thanks for keeping up with my blog! Your thoughts and prayers mean so much! I read Jeremiah 29:11 to Shompa and she really was encouraged by it so thank you for that. Pray especially for my neighbors here as they are devout muslims but really sweet people. Love you so much!
      erica

      Delete
  3. Wow! It's hard to respond to that other than to say I'll be praying for you. Please tell Shompa that even though it's been impossible for us to communicate, I have been praying for her whenever I think of her ever since I "met" her online when she lived with Jesse and Rhonda. We'll meet someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Michelle Shompa remembered you right away! She said thank you very much for praying for her and she is very happy that you remembered her. It is her wish that one day you come visit her in Bangladesh.
      Thank you so much for your prayers sister! Lots of Love from Bangladesh!

      Delete
  4. wow. what a humbling experience. I love you Erica...and I can't even imagine! I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you sis! Maybe one day a visit will help you to imagine :) hehe! hugs!!

      Delete
  5. Erica, I had not realized you would be updating your blog, but glad you are. Your description of how you and many others are living is humbling. I have nothing to complain about. Even though you are living without many of the things that we in the US consider neccessities, you will be enriched in ways we cannot even imagine. Keep laughing! I love you! Praying for you always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aunt Pam! You are definitely right! I am so blessed to be here and everyday I am learning more and more. Really an enriching experience. Pray that if it is God's will He will provide a way for me to stay since as of right now my visa is only 3 months. Love you Auntie! and I showed pictures of you to my neighbor lady who I call Cala (auntie) the other day :)

      Delete