Monday, January 14, 2013

Mr. Atheist. . .


So it has been about a month since writing. And honestly until now i was not sure why i could not bring myself to update this blog. I mean I’ve been traveling all over Europe, seeing amazing sights, eating delicious foods, meeting with friends who i haven’t seen in ages. There should be plenty to write  about right? Well yeah, but in all these travels i’ve had a strange sluggish attitude. My mom noticed it right away when we spoke  one night a few days after I arrived in Spain so around 2 weeks ago. She asked what was wrong...”you don’t seem that excited” she said and I was thinking “yea i’m not excited” what is my problem?? Everything was perfect. Surrounded by friends who love God, in a safe, warm, loving, home with family eating delicious spanish dishes.....i was stumped. I left the question in God’s hands. God, am I doing something wrong? and where are you? why cant i feel you near? I didn’t get an answer. 

This weekend I decided to take another side trip and try this thing i heard about called couch surfing. I decided to go to Porto, Portugal. because it was the nearest country that I havent been to. So i found someone willing to host me in Porto, went to the bus station and found out that actually it was a lot cheaper to go to the capitol city Lisbon, so without having a place to stay....i bought the ticket. This weekend I went to a country where I didn’t know anybody, I was not surrounded by Christians, I didn’t always actually have food when i wanted it, I didn’t actually always feel safe, sometimes I didn’t know where I was and I was alone, most of the weekend I was surrounded by people who who do not believe that God exists, I got less sleep than I’ve had this entire trip yet I feel more energized than ever, closer to God than I have felt in a long time. God's presence was tangible to me in Portugal. The Holy Spirit was speaking clearly prompting me with words to share, and actions to take, I feel refreshed. My host for saturday and sunday was an athiest. I did not  mention to him that I was a Christian until a whole day of sight seeing and conversations had passed and He asked me over bread  and olives..”can i ask you a question”  “what do you believe?” i smiled and thanked God silently for this divine appointment. We had a long conversation about our different believes and he said he wished he was wrong. and also that before me he had never heard someone say that they love God. the next day was sunday and after randomly finding out through facebook that a friend who i hadn’t seen in 10 years (Brandon Rookus) was about 12 minutes away serving with ABWE at an evangelical church, I invited my host to join me. He politely declined in the moment, but I prayed that night that God would invade his heart and low and behold...the next day sitting in babtist church was my host the atheist. he actually  told me the day before that there was only catholic churches in Portugal. He did not accept Christ as his savior but he said his eyes were opened to a world he did not know existed.  Also, the sermon was on faith, which was pretty cool I thought. 

So now I’m on the bus back to Pamplona, I didn’t sleep last night since i was on the train but I still have more energy than ever. I actually teared up a bit while thanking God for the weekend He planned.  And I think...God has proven His point with me once again. He didn’t create me to be comfortable, safe, well fed, well slept, and surrounded by Christian friends all t time. My purpose on earth is not traveling and seeing new places and trying new foods, my purpose is to be near to the broken hearted, to glorify God with how i live and to be a light in the darkness. And for the longest time my light has been shining in already brightly lit places. THAT was why I had been so tired. I was having fun, but I was not fulfilling the purpose that God created me for. My light shines brightest in darkness. Thank you God for the reminder. Perfect timing as I head out to the darkest of places in a few days. I needed that. If you think about it pray for Mr. Portugal :) I have a feeling he will not be Mr. Atheist for long :) 


5 comments:

  1. (Your paragraphs posted twice, Erica. Scroll halfway down, you'll see where they start over.)

    Sounds like an absolutely awesome weekend! I'm not like you at all. I've been comfortably reaching out to unbelievers through my book blog and related endeavors. You wouldn't think it, because I avoid "Christian" literature on my site, but issues come up so often where I'm able to share my worldview and often the reasons for it. I've reached out to a couple horror writers, a dear older lady with a passion for helping children heal though she misses a main ingredient-God, and today? A wiccan! Amazing how God utilizes our talents and uses us right where we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the double post!! I thought it looked long :) And that is so cool how God is using you on your website!! Wow! THanks for sharing and keep up the good work! I am curious though..why do you avoid "Christian" literature on your site?

      Delete
    2. Because it's my author blog and I promote my novels that are not "Christian" on there. I don't want to turn people off to them or think they're "inappropriate" for school. My reviews of other books always come from a very conservative perspective. I tell what I think and why. But when matters of faith pop up, I usually make a link to my other blog. And there's a link up on the sidebar all the time. Anyone who's interested can pop on anytime. http://www.shellsstory.wordpress.com

      Delete
  2. Haha..you did post twice..

    BUT SO AWESOME! I love this. God is so good. I'm glad you shared, I've been wondering where your blog-posts have been...I missed them,thanks for your honesty though. MISS YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too baby sis!! We should Skype soon...its not fair you get to know what's going on in my life, but I dont know what's up with you! maybe you should update your blog :) Love you!

      Delete