Friday, January 25, 2013

The Joy of Obedience

This is just a picture from my last stay in Bangladesh and some of the kids Shompa and I taught. I will put some pictures of my new place as soon as I get a way. None of these people are in the same place anymore as the police came broke down their houses and would not allow them to live on the side of the street any longer. 













This slum is my home. I love it here. I’m clumsily finding my way how to live. I feel really un-coordinated with many daily tasks like bathing with the bucket and washing my clothes by hand while keeping my orna(scarf thing) in place. But I love my neighbors who act more like family. I have 4 older sisters, an auntie, 3 brothers, and lots of little ones toddling around who call me auntie :) They have adopted me as their own and treat me with such kindness. They are all Muslim so please pray for them with me. 2 of my brothers attended school at the Mosk so they have memorized the entire Koran. There is still so much I do not know. But I have many teachers and the Holy Spirit to help me :)

I was studying John 15 in the states, memorizing it slowly. As I’m settling into a routine here in Bangladesh I’ve resumed my study. Yesterday, I memorized “As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you: Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love just as I have obeyed my Fathers commands and remain in His love.” This is a great passage for me to know especially because obedience has been my struggle in the past and its my desire to obey in all things at all times. Its good to remember that when I obey it is an act of love for my heavenly Father and it is how I abide. It was a struggle for me to obey when God told me to come back to Bangladesh and it was only God who changed my heart. Today I memorized the next verse “I am telling you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.” This makes so much sense to me now. God has given me more joy in this Bangladeshi slum then I’ve had in years. The reason God asks us to obey Him is actually for our own good. He desires us to have an abundant life and the most abundant life is when we are full of His joy. I actually remember the last time I felt this type of fullness of joy. It was at camp Mel Trotter with all my crazy inner city kids! I did life with them 24/7, it was dirty the food was nasty and there was not much time at all for myself, but I was filled with so much love for the kids and joy from God on a daily basis.

I think that the biggest ministry we can have is one of presence. Living, working, eating, cleaning, sharing the Gospel through doing life with people. Having joy when the ones around you don’t. That is what God has made me for, and I think maybe all of us were made that way. I have had other ministries in the past, but most involve working then leaving, and none compare to the ministry of presence. That is after all what Jesus did. He came. Gave up His luxurious heaven and came to a dirty earth, full of sinners. He entered as a baby, had to learn everything, He grew up, walked, lived, cried, ate, drank and served with those He came to save. I’m not saying everyone is called to go to a slum or a different country. I’m saying that we will have the best life, the most joy when we obey God’s commands. No matter how much it seems He calls us to give up, no matter how crazy, or difficult it may seem. When we obey, our joy is complete. So simple. And so true!!! I encourage/ challenge you today..obey Him! Even if you do not understand completely., after all His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. Do what He is asking of you, seriously it is an adventure and a joy!

10 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool Erica. Thanks for the challenge. As always, love reading your stuff and seeing how the Lord is working in you and how he is growing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, way over there in Bangladeshi-land, have encouraged and challenged me so much here in Williamsport-ville. Sometimes the thought of giving up my time and comfort to "have the ministry of presence" in other's lives feels so hard to do. But that is what life is about, no matter where we are on the globe! Thanks for sharing God's Word through your words, sis! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. umm I think YOU should start a blog sis! in allll that spare time you have ; ) just kidding i know u are super busy, but I would love to read a blog about your discipling experiences/church/what God is teaching you :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing how God is present in your daily life, and how He wants to be present in all our lives. You're learning to live without most of the conveniences we are used to. I think this will help you focus on the really important things in life. Keep listening and sharing what you hear...You never know when what you share will be used in someone else's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm listening...that is key. I just went to India last week for my visa update and completely lost my voice. I think God may be telling me to stop talking so much and listen more:) Thanks for keeping up with me Aunt Pam!!

      Delete
  4. Another great reminder, Erica. As a mom, I know about the ministry of presence. It's full time work! But my heart breaks for the kids I meet at school, for the kids that come to Awana. I wish there was more I could do for them. I will pray for your new family. You've rekindled my prayers for Bangladesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your prayers. I know for a fact not one of them are wasted!! Yes, as a mom you have the biggest ministry of presence! and in my perspective the most sacrificial. Keep up the good work Michelle!

      Delete
  5. It's good to hear your voice, Daughter, and His thru you.

    ReplyDelete