Saturday, April 4, 2009

April 2, 2009

April 2, 2009

Today on my way to SOS orphanage I had 2 proposals of marriage. One of them even confessed that he was "in love" and when I laughed he said "baby you see I fall in love fast…2 minutes!" It was quite funny except that they would not let me off the combi without getting my phone number soooo…Dad, you may be getting some calls from Africa because I gave them yours! In the States something like this would have taken me a week to get over, here it gives me a chuckle to start the morning and is shrugged off within minutes.

Today at SOS I helped one of the family social workers deliver supplies for his beneficiaries(needy families affected or infected with HIV) to build fences around their plots. I really love the program that SOS has created. They do not just deliver groceries every month like many organizations I've found doing, but instead they work with the family and the amount of resources that SOS gives them matches the families willingness to work. SOS starts off giving the family the supplies to make a fence around their house, and teaches them how to do it, then the family is responsible for putting it up. Once the family has the fence up (for some this takes months, for some days) SOS teaches them how to start a garden, once the family has done that, SOS supplies them with seeds, and once the family has a flourishing garden SOS considers meeting other needs that the family is presented with. BUT in order for anything to happen the family has to put in effort. This is important so that the family can eventually become independent of aid.

time for internet has ran out!

LOVE YOU ALL!

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry, Erica, Dad is coming with a great big stick!

    I love you with a 22 year love, not a two minute love!! You're amazing & I love what God is doing in you & through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I'm just now learning about this blog stuff on the computer. Pam showed me. It's exciting to hear what God is doing! Your in our prayers!! Love ya lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica Lynn, I love you so much and I miss you terribly. I read your blogs faithfully, but honey, I am just now figuring this blog stuff out. We celebrated Lindsi Carol's 18th B-day today! All my girls are adults! I wish you could have been here, but I know you are right where you are suppose to be, lovin' up on those precious kids. I pray for them and you everyday. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete