Sunday, February 15, 2009

Village life

The rooster that woke me @5:00 sharp in the morning!

Mma Edith worked with Home Based Care aswell and went on a few home visits with me.






Rra Molabasti being funny!
how we got the water for baths!





Mma and Rra Molabasti
This week I stayed out in a village called Oste with one of the sweetest most precious couples you could imagine Mma and Rra Molabasti. They had 9 kids who are all grown now and moved into the city so they had an extra room for me to stay in. They are both in their sixties, but both are still working hard. Rra goes to the cattle post everyday and Mma is the maruti (pastor) at Home Based Care. Mma loves Jesus with a passion that brings tears to my eyes.
They were so kind to let me stay in their house for a week, and I cannot imagine the amount of patients that was required to teach my English speaking, westernized mind! Some of the tasks that Mma assumed were common sense like feeding the chickens and heating up the bath water– she had to re-explain or show me before I could do it by myself, but she was very gracious with me. Mma taught me how to cook a few types of maze (paletche, pop,) but I have to come back some time so she can teach me how to make paampata (Botswana bread) and morocco which is like a vegetable paste and happens to be her favorite food. On my last night there they also cooked goat! It was so delicious – it was like beef roast except the meat was around different shaped bones and had a slightly different texture. When I first arrived I was like a guest, Mma served me tea and we talked about her testimony (she speaks English well), but after the first night my status switched from guest to daughter and I was then expected to serve and do chores. I loved it! Whenever we had visitors over Rra would look at me and that was my cue to start making tea. I had to stay conscious that my status as a woman and their ‘child’ was lower, so if someone came into the room who was older I needed to give up my seat and asking questions was not always appropriate. OH and this language is really cool – there is no word for ‘please’! There are many commanding words kla kwano (come here) tsena (enter) but few hedging words like ‘can, if, maybe,’ so at one point I had to take a minute and remind myself that Mma was not angry with me, she is only telling me what to do. I appreciated the directness, but it did catch me by surprise a few times. Its amazing how such a difference that little word ‘please’ makes. And ‘thank you’ is only used for younger people talking to older people not the other way around.
OH can I just tell one more food story? Mma was so excited one morning to give me an ‘American’ breakfast – Cornflakes! Which is awesome…except that there was no electricity and no electricity means no fridge which means no cold milk. She so kindly boiled water and poured in the powdered milk. Boiling hot milk puts a whole new twist to Cornflakes let me tell you what…wow.
For some reason (Mma said it was because I was white)they assumed that I am an a professional in all that I do. Mma told them I was a social worker - So my first day at Home Based Care (a place that sends nurses out to care for HIV/AIDS patients) the head nurse sent me out with some nurses to a home situation that was bad so that I could ‘solve the social problems.’ I thought I was going to observe. Mma told them I love Jesus - so they asked me to preach one morning! I didn’t want to disappoint them so I gave it a shot. It was fun, especially because I knew they did not know what I was saying so I could say anything I wanted as long as I said it passionately and loudly they would love it.
There is so much more I could say, but so not enough time! Maybe the pictures will help. I love you all! Thank you for your prayers!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Erica, that is all so amazing! You just keep on doing whatever you are asked (or should I say "told":)to do and I'm sure God will provide you with the resources to accomplish any task. Preach on, Pastor Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly would tell you to, "Preach'em up!!"
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome to see what you are doing over in Aftica! I love seeing pictures of you because it helps me pray when I can visualize! I'm so happy you are having the time of your life serving God! Keep it up girl! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that God is using you in each and every situation. I also know you are loving each and every one. If you could cook, you could show them a real american meal. Or maybe just what cornflakes taste like with cold milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should tell Mma and Rra that the next time they want chicken for dinner, they should let you kill and clean it. Have you had any opportunites to speak about Jesus to any who don't follow Jesus? And, I hope you took notes on your own sermon 'cause we're hoping to hear it when we see you next (in Bangladesh Lord willing).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad, that is funny you say that! I so thought of Kelly while i was writing this post! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesse, there is one person I would actually like prayer for. I've had a few conversations with him and he strongly believes that he will go to heaven by doing good works. he does not take the Bible as God's word so it is very interesting. I'm praying that God will send His spirit to work in his life and make him uncomfortable with his beliefs.

    Thank you all for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete